NJHS Involved in Numerous Projects

NJHS Involved in Numerous Projects

Kareena Xiong, Interviewer

Ramsey students participate in different organizations, one of which is National Junior Honor Society. NJHS is an international organization with chapters in junior high schools all over the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada. NJHS  gives students both learning experiences and service experiences. NJHS also provides students with scholarships that help them build their future.

Some of the chapter’s service projects are impressive.

Ninth grade English teacher and NJHS sponsor Michele Walker said, “Some upcoming events for NJHS are the Jeans Drive, present-wrapping at the mall for Habitat for Humanity, and a Christmas party at a nursing home.”

To join NJHS, you have to have a Grade Point Average of 3.5 and have certain characteristics such as a good personality, and a desire to help others. You won’t be able to join NJHS if you have a record of disciplinary action.

NJHS only allows eighth graders to apply, and will induct the incoming ninth grade members in the spring.     

“Next semester, NJHS will announce when students can apply for membership,” said Walker. “Eighth-graders can then pick up an application packet from Mrs. Bruce, fill it out, and return it to her.”

Social Studies teacher Libby Ware said,‘‘We raise money for the Humane Society. We have meetings once a month.”

Students apply for membership for different reasons.    

Ninth grader Georgie Mings said,”I want to be able to get better understanding of myself, my grades and my sense of responsibility.”

Mason Gregory,” I like serving the community.”

Ninth grader Eryn Riley said, ‘‘I like community service and helping people.”

Ninth grader Tyler Sexton said, ‘‘I hope to get scholarships for college.

There are currently 106 students in NJHS at Ramsey.