The Rampage

• April 16Week of 4/29: ACT/Aspire Testing

• April 16Mon. 4/22: No School

• April 2Sat. 4/27: Freshman Formal

• April 2Fri. 4/19: No School - Good Friday

• April 2Thu. 4/18: NJHS Induction

2018 Year in Review

Jackson Teague, Editor

2018 has come and gone and with that has left behind a lot of memories. Every month has had a significant impact on most of our lives. So many things occurred in the past year that it would be nearly impossible to go in depth about every single big event in this year, so in this article we’ll discuss the biggest things that affected a lot of people this year.

To kick off 2018 were a series of unfortunate events. On the very first day of the year YouTube sensation, Logan Paul, created a controversy by filming a dead body in Japan’s suicide forest. The YouTuber took the video down eventually and issued an apology to everyone. On Valentine’s Day this year a tragedy shook the nation as Nikolas Cruz entered his former high school and opened fire killing 17 innocent students. Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, was taken to court after accusations of Facebook selling users data to advertisers.

Everything wasn’t bad, however, as there were a lot of great movies, songs, and video games that came out this year. The critically acclaimed movie Black Panther became the third highest grossing movie ever in the United States. The second highest grossing movie was released a short while later which was released by Marvel as well and that was Avengers: Infinity War. Near the end of the year Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse was released and received a 97% on Rotten Tomatoes. The rapper known as Childish Gambino released a song that took the internet by storm, “This is America” in the song Gambino discussed the issue of racism in America and the problem with guns. Fortnite arguably became the most popular game in history as it took over the world with kids everywhere taking to the streets dancing. Ariana Grande’s hit single thank u, next debuted at the #1 spot on the US Billboard Hot 100.

This year has brought rampant political debates on gun control, sparked by the Parkland Shooting mentioned earlier. Survivors of the Parkland Shooting soon took to the media and discussed how gun control could have prevented the even from taking place and students led a march on Washington gathering the attention of everyone across America. Over across the pond, in France, French citizens have voiced their opinions on France putting in place a law that would increase the cost of certain fuels. The citizens have started to riot and many have described the streets of France as chaotic.

2018 was just full of so many thought-provoking events, so if one were to try and write an article on every major thing that occurred this year then the article would at least have to to be four pages long.