Should students be able to skip a grade?

Kaileigh Stasser

Researchers found that a large number of U.S. students are performing above grade level. Skipping grades is an effective way to help talented students remain intellectually challenged and engaged. When students aren’t challenged studies show that they will begin to feel unmotivated and depressed. Students should be able to skip grades because students need more challenges, and skipping a grade can have good effects on students.

Students should be able to skip a grade if they are advanced. One reason they should be able to skip is that there will be no challenge if students are doing the same easy work they already know. I know this because a report from John Hopkins University shows that about two out of every seven students are a higher-grade curriculum. Students are not learning something new each day, and are likely to be bored in class. This is important, because advanced students have no challenge, and skipping a grade could fix it. 

Another reason I believe students should be able to skip a grade is that grade skipping has had mostly good effects on students. These outcomes include higher GPA, school satisfaction, honors received, success on exams, and university credits. This is an important factor because students get a lot of benefits from skipping which could help them out a lot in the long run. 

Some people believe that it can take a toll on the student’s emotional health because it’s a new environment. Not skipping can also take a toll on student’s emotional health too. For example, not skipping can make a student discouraged or depressed because they are doing the same easy work every day with no challenge.