Coronavirus Catches On

Coronavirus Catches On

Keira McTyre

Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a respiratory virus. The first case was in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China on December 31st of 2019. Wuhan is a port city with a population of 11 million people. The Coronavirus belongs in the same virus family with SARS and the common cold. It spreads by being in proximity to an infected person and breathing in droplets when the infected person coughs or sneezes, or touching a surface that the droplets had landed on and then touching your face. The disease was identified as a new disease on January 7th, the official scientific name (COVID-19) given to it on February 11, 2020. 

Timeline of events of the Coronavirus; January 9th, the first death occurred, taking a 61 year old man. He had failed to respond to treatments. 23rd, Wuhan City was quarantined and travel suspended. 26th, cases of the virus were reported in the U.S., Taiwan, Thailand, Japan, and South Korea. 27th, the death toll in China rose to 106, 100 being in Hubei Province. In Hubei Province, the diagnosed people with COVID-19 rose from 1,423 to 2,712 that day. 30th, the World Health Organization (WHO) stated that the Coronavirus was a global emergency as the death toll in China leaped to 170. 7,711 diagnosed cases were confirmed, the virus spreading to all 31 Provinces and India and the Philippines reported the first cases. 31st, China’s confirmed cases rose to 9,809 and the virus spread to Russia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. The next day, February 1st, China’s death toll rose 259 with 11,791 confirmed cases in China. New cases were confirmed in Canada, Australia, Germany, Japan, Singapore, the US, the United Arab Emirates, and Vietnam. 7th, the man who alerted the public to the presence of the virus, Li Wenliang, died of the very same virus. The next day, February 8, a US citizen died in Wuhan, the first foreign death. As of the writing of this article on February 13th, in Mainland China, the death toll is reported to be 1,300 with nearly 65,000 cases confirmed, but 5,928 citizens have recovered from it. In the US, there are 15 cases spread across Arizona, California, Illinois, Massachusetts, Washington, and Wisconsin. 

The Chinese students have not returned to school since their New Year’s Break which started on January 25th. The students are having to attend online classes at home. The Chinese Ministry of Education created the slogan “Our classes are suspended, but we will not stop learning.” Some students are happy about their extended break, claiming that classes online are not as hard as the ones in their school, but others are restless and bored, as they are not allowed to leave their houses. According to an online English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher, some of her students are saying that they are happy about their extended break, claiming that classes online are not as hard as the ones in their school, some are scared of the virus and the unknowns, and others are restless and bored, as they are not allowed to leave their houses. 

You can avoid getting the COVID-19 by not getting within a six feet perimeter of the infected person when they do not cover their cough or sneeze, wash your hands for at least twenty seconds, avoid touching your face with unwashed hands, avoid close contact with an infected person, clean and disinfect surfaces that you touch often, and encourage people to sneeze into their elbows. Symptoms usually start 2 to 14 days after you get infected. The symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.