Special Olympics

Special+Olympics

Dakota Murchison

Special Olympics is a global organization that serves athletes with intellectual disabilities working with many volunteers and coaches each year. Since the establishment of Special Olympics the number of people with and without intellectual disabilities who are involved with the organization has been growing. 

On February 28,2020 students in Ms. May’s and Ms. Mudd’s class went to the boys and girls club for Special Olympics. Many of the students went bowling earlier in the year. Classmates had gone to play basketball and bring back certificates. They had three different teams white, blue, and gold and competed with many other schools. With all of the teams competing it gives students a chance to show their talent. Dakota Murchison and Destiny Fields went along to capture the moments as photographers. Some students that competed were Noah Hayden, Travis Richie, and many others. Two of our teams brought back certificates but all of Ramsey’s teams did amazing. 

“I’m also good at it and I got a strike and I got a gold medal.”

says Alani Langford about going bowling earlier in the school year. They won first place and received gold medals for their hard work. Then after they compete for bowling they go to basketball a couple months later. 

“It gives me an opportunity that many people with autism don’t get.”

says Noah Hayden. Many of these competitions are just about having fun, competing, getting to know more people and working well with others. Special Olympics have a variety of sports students can play and year round training.Those sports give them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship.

This is very inspiring to many other people and many see Special Olympics as a way to let go of stress and relieve anger. This organization is also run by the community and donations.

Each day is a celebration for our Special Olympics’ athletes in Arkansas. We learn something each day from their courage and determination.